[sdiy] Frequency meter (was Re: Anyone in the UK used RS Calibration Services?)

Needham, Alan Alan.Needham at centrica.com
Fri Mar 21 21:13:10 CET 2014

Some years back I wanted to check my 'el-cheapo' frequency meter, a Thandar TF200 before using it to check an organ tuning aid I built.
I found a circuit online, I think it was called 'the Poor Man's Frequency Standard', from some UK amateur radio website. The circuit was based around stripping the line sync pulses from the BBC transmissions (before digital messed everything up), the author stated that the studio transmissions were disciplined with an atomic clock and by running a PLL at 1MHz locked to this a high degree of accuracy could be achieved.
I guess it would be easy now to do a similar thing with a GPS signal.
Anyway...
I checked a couple of guitar tuners borrowed from a friend against this lashup, one really cheap one and one 'much better quality' one.
Both came out as scarily accurate, better than 100ppm as I remember - and at a tiny fraction of the cost of my organ tuning aid :-(

Ps. Yes, I waited for 100seconds per reading at low frequencies (not reciprocal).