[sdiy] Frequency meter (was Re: Anyone in the UK used RS Calibration Services?)

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Thu Mar 20 22:41:14 CET 2014

In a similar vein, I often find myself in need of a high accuracy frequency meter for audio and sample clock frequencies. 0-25KHz for sure, and 0-200KHz would be nice. Presumably there are expensive pieces of test equipment available that do this job, but does anyone know of a cheap/accurate way to do it? My definition of "accurate" would be something like "so I can see errors of a cent or less" I suppose - e.g. an order of magnitude better than I can manage with my ears. Otherwise there's really no point.

I'm reminded of a quote on (I think) Scott Dattalo's website, where he said that a previous boss claimed that 95% of the features of any piece of $1000 test equipment could be adequately copied on a $1 PIC, but you needed some tweaked code, or equivalently, some tweaked programmers.

I'm leaning towards the $1 PIC solution. I doubt I'd use the other 5% anyway…

T.