[sdiy] Any SSM2164 pspice model available on the net ??

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Wed Mar 19 16:27:02 CET 2014

Mattias Rickardsson followed up my post with a version with some tweaks:

* SSM2164 VCA cell
*
* taken from Olivier Gillet's msg to synth-diy discussion list 2011-01-29
*
.SUBCKT SSM2164 IN OUT CV
* The two transistors in the input's differential pair have the same base
* current, hence the same Vbe. The second transistor is referenced to
* ground so IN is virtually grounded.
V1 IN 0 0
* Models 5k impedance for the CV input
R2 CV 0 5k
* Stability network
R3 IN 1 560
C1 1 0 560p
* Current gain expression
G1 OUT 0 VALUE={-I(V1)*PWR(10, -V(CV) * 1.5)}
.ENDS

I'd previously just hung a 5K resistor off the CV input if I'd wanted to model the effect of that, but this tweak makes that unnecessary.
Whilst these models are very abstract, the fact is that they work for the majority of stuff you want to do. You can design a filter or VCA with it, and the sim results match the reality. If you start overdriving things and expecting to see distortion effects like you'd see on the real chip, you can forget it.

HTH,
Tom