[sdiy] ADSR Trigger/Retrigger behaviour

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Mon Jun 30 05:47:37 CEST 2014

On Jun 29, 2014, at 1:54 PM, florian anwander wrote:
> Am 29.06.2014 17:40, schrieb Ian Fritz:
>> IMO.  I've never had a standard ADSR in my system, although I can easily
>> mix an AD with an AR to get the same effect.
> I'd like to support that. I think the switchable AD/AR envelope like in the Moog Rogue makes much more sense than an ADSR. Typically you want an AD envelope on the filter, and an AR (or AD) envelope on the  VCA.
>
> Also: you can have two envelopes on the same space as one ADSR.
Typically, for me at least, the most interesting envelopes involve relatively low Sustain - just enough to keep the sound going while the note is held - instance Attack and quick Decay. I like percussive and plucked sounds. But you can achieve this by mixing AD with AR, or even mixing AD with scaled Gate (but AR would be better than abrupt gate, if you have the resources).

The thing about ADRS is that it works well when you have a pre-patched synth that only allows one Amp envelope. But you can get more interesting sounds by mixing one set of oscillators (with noise) through AD, and another set of oscillators through AR. But that requires two VCA modules, not just two envelopes.

Brian Willoughby