[sdiy] ADSR Trigger/Retrigger behaviour

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Sat Jun 28 20:37:20 CEST 2014

On 28 June 2014 19:39, David G Dixon <dixon at mail.ubc.ca> wrote:

>> > I like it this way:
>> >
>> > Gate triggers AD cycle. Trigger triggers AR cycle if gate is low.
>> > Trigger retriggers AD cycle if gate is high during D(S)
>> > cycle. During A cycle, trigger does nothing.
>>
>> Don't you mean the other way around, i.e., Gate triggers *AR*
>> cycle. Trigger triggers *AD* cycle if gate is low.
>
> No, I had it right.  Trigger "only" (with gate low) triggers AR cycle (no
> sustain, release time set by release pot).  Retrigger with gate high
> triggers AD cycle (to sustain level, decay time set by decay pot).  Also,
> premature gate removal (before attack upper threshold) initiates release
> rather than decay.  This can create some fairly interesting keyboard effects
> that are a bit like velocity when playing staccato.

Interesting. I've always seen R as an end-of-Gate thing, but maybe
it's good to extend it to a more general there-is-no-Gate-present
thing, so that a Trigger alone would give AR instead of AD. :-) Is
there any de-facto standard to this?

I was mostly confused when you wrote "Gate triggers AD cycle", but I
guess you mean that Gate (even without a Trigger) triggers the whole
ADSR cycle?

/mr