[sdiy] ADSR Trigger/Retrigger behaviour

Donald Tillman don at till.com
Fri Jun 27 23:35:44 CEST 2014

On Jun 27, 2014, at 2:19 PM, Colin f <colin at colinfraser.com> wrote:

>> But... if you think about what your favorite acoustic and
>> electromechanical instruments do in this situation, you might
>> consider alternatives.  One example that's near and dear to
>> my heart is playing a guitar with a pick.
>
> But a guitar has a fixed attack time of zero - so the behaviour is
> effectively the same.

For the small duration in time where the pick is in contact with the string, the string is effectively silenced.  The effect is more pronounced when the pick is thicker and wider.

Now, granted, I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to picking technique, and pick shape, material, and thickness.  :-)

But you'll find similar effects on a harpsichord, or trumpet, or double-tonguing a clarinet or oboe.

> Of course, you have the additional option of manually damping the release by
> pick or hand.

There are literally dozens of ways of damping, yeah.

  -- Don

--
Don Tillman
Palo Alto, California