[sdiy] ADSR Trigger/Retrigger behaviour

Pete Hartman pete.hartman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 23:13:05 CEST 2014

To slightly bifurcate this discussion...

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Tom Wiltshire <tom at electricdruid.net> wrote:
> There's  a related question of whether the attack time should remain the same (e.g. do the whole attack time) or whether it should be proportional to it's starting point. The first way means that higher starting levels give a much shallower attack slope, although they keep the same time. The other way is to keep the slope constant, but adjust the time. This second way means notes played after notes with slow releases get shorter attacks.

It has been my experience that all "typical" envelopes preserve the
slope of the attack, not the time.  I've only heard of one person who
assumed otherwise, and when he looked at the ADSRs he had, he realized
they all did the same.  I understand that some digital
synths/envelopes are capable of setting the time rather than the
slope, and I'm curious which ones....

That also puts a twist on the question of "what do you do when you're
retriggered during the attack phase?"   Preserving time would lead to
a conceivably radical change in slope, depending on when in the attack
phase it occurred, as Tom has noted here.