[sdiy] ADSR Trigger/Retrigger behaviour

Donald Tillman don at till.com
Fri Jun 27 22:59:56 CEST 2014

On Jun 27, 2014, at 6:08 AM, Justin Owen <juzowen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Most diagrams show the Attack section starting from whatever output level the ADSR was at when the Trigger was received.
>
> ...so is this standard? The ADSR rests to the Attack stage but the Attack starts at whatever level it was at when the Trigger was received - or (perhaps just in an ideal world...) would you expect the Attack stage to be reset fully and start from 0V?

For most keyboard playing it's generally preferred to start the second attack from whatever level the envelope generator was at.

But... if you think about what your favorite acoustic and electromechanical instruments do in this situation, you might consider alternatives.  One example that's near and dear to my heart is playing a guitar with a pick.

The MemoryMoog had a "Return to Zero" switch for each of it's envelope generators.

  -- Don

--
Don Tillman
Palo Alto, California