[sdiy] ADSR Trigger/Retrigger behaviour

Florian Anwander fanwander at mnet-online.de
Fri Jun 27 15:48:55 CEST 2014

Hello Justin

 >  From a circuit POV I can understand why it would reset to
 > it's current voltage but I'd be interested to hear if people
 > who use this feature regularly would expect or prefer
 > something different.

A envelope restarted from zero will always sound a bit like a sampled
sound. But this may be desired.

The important question is: at which moment do you send the reset trigger?

If you send the reset after the attack maximum (=while decay/release
phase), then you may want to choose between both versions: the classic
'start from the actual env-out voltage' or the more sample-like 'start
from zero'. The 'start from the actual env-out voltage' version provides
this very important possibility to create a kind of crescendo with note
repeats. And most times I would prefer the classic version.

But if you send the reset before the attack maximum, a 'start from the
actual env-out voltage' version does not make sense, because I am just
there. You wouldn't hear any difference. So in this case the reset
trigger should reset the envelope to zero.

Florian