[sdiy] ADSR Trigger/Retrigger behaviour

Justin Owen juzowen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 15:08:20 CEST 2014

Hello,

I'm looking at adding Trigger/Retrigger functionality to an ADSR design I'm working on but it's not a feature I've used that much so I was hoping for some clarification.

I understand that while the Gate is High, the envelope will restart from the Attack stage each time a Trigger is received.

Most diagrams show the Attack section starting from whatever output level the ADSR was at when the Trigger was received. Two examples are this one from MFOS (top right):

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth_new/ADSR001/ADSR001_cyclediags.gif

and the diagram in the Doepfer A-140 manual.

...so is this standard? The ADSR rests to the Attack stage but the Attack starts at whatever level it was at when the Trigger was received - or (perhaps just in an ideal world...) would you expect the Attack stage to be reset fully and start from 0V?

>From a circuit POV I can understand why it would reset to it's current voltage but I'd be interested to hear if people who use this feature regularly would expect or prefer something different.

Thanks as always,

- Justin