[sdiy] (ot) best old synths for CV/gate control of SDIY projects??

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Thu Jun 26 21:35:10 CEST 2014

I'm inclined to agree with John - if your intention is to control your modular, you're probably better off with a MIDI->CV unit. Get one that does velocity CV and/or has a couple of auxiliary CV outputs so you can really tweak the modular from MIDI.

My Sequential Pro-One produces CV/Gate, but it has no trigger output (so notes don't trigger if other notes are held, although they do on the synth itself) and the CV output is a bit "quirky", which is a polite way of saying it's out of tune. Since the internal oscillators are scaled to the wonky CV, I've left it alone. The CV range is only 2 or 3 volts since the keyboard isn't very long. I also had a SH101 until recently, which has similar issues as a controller (CV/Gate only, short range), although that one was tuned better.

I recently sold a couple of Kenton Electronics Pro2 dual channel MIDI->CV units. They were great. Kenton don't mke them any more, but if you can find one they go for about £100 - way cheaper than a mono synth, does two channels plus aux outs, and has a much wider range/better accuracy.

HTH,
Tom