[sdiy] Polyphonic voice allocation algorithm

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Tue Jun 24 10:34:10 CEST 2014

I have worked with polyphonic assigner in Oberheim 4-voice and must say
it is very nice. A whole bunch of logic ICs in multi-tier PCBs. A bit of
pain to service though...

Anyway, what I liked the most, was the ability to switch between all
imaginable assign modes: cyclic, mono, unison, steal-voice, reassign and
so on. And I think the key to success is to give the player the choice,
as different patches/sounds may be beter articulated using different
assign modes.

BTW, I used "reassign" mode in my 8-voice polysynth back in
1990-something. It used nothing else but plain CMOS logic, and was not
so complex at all as it may seem at first sight.

Roman