[sdiy] Polyphonic voice allocation algorithm

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Tue Jun 24 04:01:30 CEST 2014

My experience has been that each new synthesizer idea can require it's own
unique approach to voice assignment.  For example, a Karplus-Strong synth
probably needs a different approach than an organ type instrument.  It would
benefit the designer to understand fully what is needed of the instrument as
well as what musicians (or "players") might try to do.  Also, voice
assignment strategy might change as the available voice count is increased.
I have "boiler plate" code for voice assignment that always seems to need a
bit of adjustment when I design a new synth.

-- ScottG
-- Scott Gravenhorst
-- http://scott.joviansynth.com/
-- Matt 21:22