[sdiy] Polyphonic voice allocation algorithm

cs80 at therogoffs.com cs80 at therogoffs.com
Tue Jun 24 02:04:26 CEST 2014

As the responses have shown, there is no standard algorithm.  I like the e-µ / Oberheim since you could choose different modes depending on what style of playing you used.  Most keyboards I’ve seen didn’t have any stealing - it you ran out of voices, hitting more keys did nothing.  The Kurzweil K-250 (and descendants) had complicated algorithms to check the volume of decaying notes to figure out which to steal.

Here’s the spec for the Yamaha KAS used in the CS80/60/50:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9224623/KAS_theory.tif

 David