[sdiy] Polyphonic voice allocation algorithm

Terry Shultz thx1138 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 23 23:32:16 CEST 2014

Hi Folks,

The Microprocessor based Polyphonic keyboard was patented by E-Mu
Systems in 1976 by Dave Rossum.
E-Mu licensed this to Oberheim Elec., Sequential Circuits, Shultz Sound
Desigm. and perhaps a few others I can't remember now.

They successfully defended this patent against Allen Organs and so
forth. The Pratt-Read keyboard that E-Mu specified was used by many
others, Oberheim, Sequential Circuits, PPG, and so forth.

It was originally implemented on an 8080 processor, but migrated to a
Z-80 at Patent filing time I believe.

This patent I believe has run out but it should be located in a google
search.

Hopefully this helps you as I need to look at my source code to give you
an exact answer on exact algorithm function.

It has been many years since I looked at this software.

best regards,

Terry Shultz