[sdiy] Random design, was Re: When vintage stuff comes as an ideal....

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Tue Jun 17 00:15:56 CEST 2014

On 14 Jun 2014, at 16:42, Olivier Gillet <ol.gillet at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Nowadays gear falls into one of three categories:
>> c) it doesn't have "killer sound" and never will.
>
> Four categories indeed:
>
> d) Cultural changes will occur, that will redefine "killer sound" in a
> way we hadn't anticipated. The item doesn't have "2014 music
> landscape's killer sound" but will have "2024's killer sound".

Absolutely agree with this. The history of the '303 is this story exactly - a low cost, little plastic synthy thing that makes baselines. Bit rubbish, disappears without a trace. Years later, it's rediscovered and redefines "killer sound" completely, to the point at which something that originally wasn't worth keeping let alone emulating is now copied in minute detail.
No-one had to modify the '303 for this to occur, and no-one had to throw away the supposedly dodgy examples of the '303. All that happened was that tastes changed. There was a period when analog squelches were very definitely *not* where it was at - everyone wanted tinkly digital ballad pianos, I seem to remember!