[sdiy] OTA diodes

Ian Fritz ijfritz at comcast.net
Mon Jun 16 23:20:36 CEST 2014

At 11:08 PM 6/14/2014, Donald Tillman wrote:
>On Jun 14, 2014, at 12:01 PM, Justin Owen <juzowen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In Electronotes EN62 pg12 (one of the pages that is publicly available
> AFAIK...) there is a schematic of a basic OTA where the top current
> mirror hangs off a 680R resistor with 3 diodes to GND. I remember seeing
> this in another discrete OTA schem but never in the simplified schematics
> of the major production OTA's.
> >
> > Recently I noticed that the simplified 2164 schematic uses a similar
> config - but in a different way (I think...).
> >
> > What are these doing, what purpose do they serve, what are they
> improving? I'd be particularly interested in answers from an OTA POV.
>
>Circuits that rely on matched transistors work much better when those
>transistors are operating in identical, or near identical, electrical
>environments.  In this case the issue is Vcb, and you'll lose the effects
>of matching if the transistors are operating at different Vcb's.
>
>An example would be the current mirror at the top of EN-62 p12.  The 3
>transistor Wilson current mirror is superior to the 2 transistor vanilla
>current mirror because the third transistor assures that the Vcb of the
>two matched transistors are within one diode drop.  So the Wilson current
>mirror is a win.
>
>For the diff amp here, the second transistor's collector is at 0 volts as
>it's a virtual ground.  A current mirror operating at a high voltage would
>mean that the collector of first diff amp transistor would be way up
>high.  So running the current mirror at a low voltage assures that the
>diff amp collectors are within one diode drop of each other.
>
>The SSM2164 circuit works exactly the same way.
>
>--------
>
>Ironically... with the EN62 circuit running the current mirror at this low
>voltage... the Wilson current mirror is no longer an advantage over the
>plain vanilla current mirror.  Heh-heh.
>
>   -- Don

A few years ago I put some effort into making the best discrete OTA I
could.  My goal was to  have performance as good as the CA3280.  It took
some care, but it worked fine.  However, it was necessary to use a fully
symmetric structure, with a four transistor current mirror -- using MAT
transistors -- and a fully differential I/V converter.  Without all this,
the offset variation with Iabc was excessive.  Keeping the C-B voltages
small reduces problems with the Early effect.  I believe this may be what
Don is referring to, although there may be other benefits.

But a two or three transistor mirror did not work well enough for what I
was trying to achieve, even with the reduced voltage at the top of the mirror.

Ian