[sdiy] OTA diodes

Justin Owen juzowen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 21:01:51 CEST 2014

In Electronotes EN62 pg12 (one of the pages that is publicly available AFAIK...) there is a schematic of a basic OTA where the top current mirror hangs off a 680R resistor with 3 diodes to GND. I remember seeing this in another discrete OTA schem but never in the simplified schematics of the major production OTA's.

Recently I noticed that the simplified 2164 schematic uses a similar config - but in a different way (I think...).

What are these doing, what purpose do they serve, what are they improving? I'd be particularly interested in answers from an OTA POV.

Thanks!

- Justin