[sdiy] TL072??

Olivier Gillet ol.gillet at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 09:32:16 CEST 2014

The situations in which a TL082 works, and not a TL072, might very
well be that this particular TL072 (or the whole tube it has been
taken from) is a bit above typical specs, while the TL082 is dead on
(or lower). Parameters like offset voltage and bias currents can vary
a lot between their "typical" and "maximum" value. It wouldn't
surprise me if you found later a tube of TL082s that wouldn't work,
and TL072s that worked!

You'd better understand which parameters are critical for your application...

Such situations don't mean anything about the chip family itself, just
about two specific instances. Same problem arise when people are
comparing an 808 clone and "the" original - without realizing that the
difference they perceive between the clone and the original isn't
worse than the difference between an original and another original.