[sdiy] TL072??

Dan Snazelle subjectivity at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 12 08:45:49 CEST 2014

david... i see here you said two things which relate to the question of What the differences are between the two opamps

at first i thought you said they ARE interchangeable ( which  for me means you can safely switch them on a BOM with no detrimental effects )

but then I saw that before that you did a great job of listing the three "small" differences some of which you said are in the cheaper versions (which many people use)

but those small differences can matter in situations where those specs were crucial to something working : current draw limited situations, repair situations or people ordering kits which ask for 82s or 72s ( i would never want a population place to switch 72s to 82s or vice versa as that is throwing enough difference into a circuit which might use 5-10 tloxx chips...which could cause sub-optimal operation

and since they are all so low in price, i always keep 72s and 82s on hand (and of course 62s)

i guess i just wanted Tim to know that there is definitely SOME difference
thats all

funnily enough, tonight I stumbled across a repair techs blog... when i found someone else who has had issues helped by switching from 72s to 82s ...ultimately he went to a 62 but i think it gives more credence to the idea that 72s and 82s are not always exactly the same.

anyway its a funny anecdote about why keeping all three around is useful! ( well we all know 62s are great for many apps anyway)

korg polysix repair:

Another day dawned, and the keyboard was taken out once again to allow test equipment access to the oscillator section. Apart from the K30A O FET, everything in voice 5 was brand new but also of the original type. In a moment of desperation we replaced the TLO72 with a TLO82 just to see what difference it made.
It did make a difference, voice 5 was now sharp, we thought great, trim it down and job done.
Not so, when voice 5 was flat, the tune low trimmer ran out of track before tuning was achieved, when it was sharp the same thing happened at the other end of the trimmer.
We next tried a TLO62, and in a Goldilocks moment, it was just right."

(from here:
http://retroactivesynth.com/index.php?page=march-2011

Sent from my iPad