[sdiy] When vintage stuff comes as an ideal....

Dan Snazelle subjectivity at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 12 03:40:42 CEST 2014


I know more than one person who believes that THE ELUSIVE VINTAGE SOUND comes from IS BECAUSE OF: wide tolerance caps and carbon comp 5% resistors, And also from (which seemed weird to me without data to back up its effects) the widespread use of HAND DRAWN, round,  WIDE pcb traces on single layer or dual layer pcbs...quite often without solder-mask.

but then, my internal reply to this is always, "variation among units is not the same as making ONE prototype sound amazing"


whether or not they could get the repeatability (and longevity of sound as caps age over decades)
of modern manufacturing methods seems to me more an answer as to why vintage analogs always differ


i assume anything built in ( relatively small numbers ( compared to a dx7 or an ipad) for niche markets....weird musicians, djs, etc will have a built in mystique or even "energy"/magic/etc


i dont know if  its crazy to think super fans 35 yrs from now will be arguing over how todays products " got that sound "


of course todays companies are battling OVER-hype
over-exposure


other than HARDCOPY patents, magazine articles, or obscure books....or maybe clubs or college music departments....i dont think a lot of todays Common knowledge about filters/ vcos/etc was so common back in the days when the legends were built


so thats strike one against modern companies !!

when people DONT KNOW, their minds fill in


but when even non sdiy types ask me if a circuit of mine is based on xxxxxx OR based on such and such part, no matter how i answer if I choose to answer -- it will already have influences the way they will perceive/hear it !! before they even turn it on for the first time!!


imagine the killing youd make if you went back in a time machine to 1961 armed with your 2014 synth designs, and a tractor-trailer truck full of OTA's, LEDS, and oh yeah, tl072s!!!!!




Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 11, 2014, at 3:27 AM, "Carlos Portela" <carlosrochaportela at gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> The capacitance was diferent from me designed value. More them 20%. In
> some cases more them 50, 60%, if I remember right..
> 
> Not a big debate but: http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61413
> 
> 2014-06-11 8:59 GMT+02:00 Gordon JC Pearce <gordonjcp at gjcp.net>:
>>> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 08:50:27AM +0200, Carlos Portela wrote:
>>> I replaced all the electrolytic capacitors on my ms20, because some
>>> parts were not working propraly, especially the lfo.
>>> Checked some of the replaced caps and they were bad. Instead a
>>> selected replacement, replaced all.
>> 
>> Weird.  "Bad" how?
>> 
>>> Why do you say "Disc ceramics, however... ooft."?
>> 
>> They leak.  I replace dozens of them a month, depending on whose kit I have on the bench.  There's a particular make and model of radio that goes utterly deaf because three little 0.1μF SMT ceramic caps go leaky and screw up the biasing, although I think I've got pretty much all of them replaced now.  Hopefully they'll hold up for another 10 years and then they'll be someone else's problem.
>> 
>> --
>> Gordonjcp MM0YEQ
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Synth-diy mailing list
>> Synth-diy at dropmix.xs4all.nl
>> http://dropmix.xs4all.nl/mailman/listinfo/synth-diy
> _______________________________________________
> Synth-diy mailing list
> Synth-diy at dropmix.xs4all.nl
> http://dropmix.xs4all.nl/mailman/listinfo/synth-diy


More information about the Synth-diy mailing list