[sdiy] How to pick a PC fab house?

Rutger Vlek rutgervlek at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 19:49:56 CEST 2014

Hi Eric,

I have good experience with goldphoenixpcb.com, they are based in China though. You upload the Gerber-files to their site, or send them via email and you receive a PCB by mail in a couple of weeks (last time I did it, it was 2 weeks). The important thing to check (but the fab house can help you with that), is to check if the Gerber files are complete (all layers required) and match the capabilities of their machinery (in terms of precision and drill sizes). If the files contain special things like extra small holes, very large dimensions, or cut-aways they charge extra. Otherwise I have found goldphoenixpcb to be one of the cheapest around when including shipping rates. Keep in mind though, that consumer made PCBs are cheap because of the quantity they're made in. A single one will never be cheap. On the SparkFun website is a great tutorial on preparing Gerber files (from Eagle CAD software), and also about different pcb houses.

Rutger