[sdiy] When good caps go bad!

Scott Nordlund gsn10 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 11 15:40:53 CEST 2014

> That being said, where Tantalum's are used for timing purposes or
> in the audio chain I have never seen a problem, and in fact in a few
> Korg Polysix's where the LFO and PWM timing calibrations couldn't be
> achieved with their Electrolytics, I replaced them with Tant's which
> sorted that one right out, the lowest speeds of course!

I've seen some tantalum timing caps fail. It's not too uncommon that early Ace Tone/Roland drum machines have an intermittently erratic tempo. This is due to the tantalum caps in the clock oscillator. I don't understand why they would fail this way (or why film capacitors weren't used in the first place, since they're quite small values), or whether it's a general problem or something specific to those parts.