[sdiy] When vintage stuff comes as an ideal....

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Wed Jun 11 08:59:30 CEST 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 08:50:27AM +0200, Carlos Portela wrote:
> I replaced all the electrolytic capacitors on my ms20, because some
> parts were not working propraly, especially the lfo.
> Checked some of the replaced caps and they were bad. Instead a
> selected replacement, replaced all.

Weird.  "Bad" how?

> Why do you say "Disc ceramics, however... ooft."?

They leak.  I replace dozens of them a month, depending on whose kit I have on the bench.  There's a particular make and model of radio that goes utterly deaf because three little 0.1μF SMT ceramic caps go leaky and screw up the biasing, although I think I've got pretty much all of them replaced now.  Hopefully they'll hold up for another 10 years and then they'll be someone else's problem.

--
Gordonjcp MM0YEQ