[sdiy] SF Bay Area Alert: Dave Smith at CCRMA today

Terry Shultz thx1138 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 5 22:00:31 CEST 2014

Hi All,

I have known Dave Smith clear back in the days I worked for Tom Oberheim
and Dave Rossum at E-mu.

Much work was done by many folks,i.e. E-mu designed/patented the
Polykeyboard technology, AutoTune, several SSM chips . Stanford CCRMA
and John Chowning developed the FM Synthesis ip licensed to Yamaha. List
is large....

I am just happy to see Dave Smith, Tom Oberheim, Don Buchla and many
other folks still bringing good audio synth's back to another generation
of musicians in the USA and Rest of World.

Wolfgang Palm, Bob Moog, Ray Kurzweil and many others were high impact
folks as well. Max Matthews, Dr. Gareth Loy and many others were
instrumental in software techniques for audio.

So many people deserve remembrance in alternative controllers, Dave
Simmons, Neil Steiner, Roger Linn, Bill Bernardi r.i.p. "Lyricon"
inventor and so on....

I wish we could get more of these guys to lecture and put up on YouTube
their experiences and facts before they fade into the sunset.

Harold Rhodes, of "Rhodes" piano worked down the street from me in
Fullerton. Harry Chamberlin lived out in Upland not far from me , I was
happy to be able to have worked ,  cooperated with so many talented
designers in my time here in Southern Calif.

So let's see if we can get more of these guys to talk to us about what
has been and could be.

best regards always,

Terry