[sdiy] Oakley S&H clock LED pulse extender

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Thu Jun 5 01:31:57 CEST 2014

In addition to the 555 timer circuits already suggested, there are some
discrete and IC monostable circuits here that will extend short pulses
out to something more suitable to drive an LED:

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/waveforms/monostable.html

If you don't want to mess with the base drive of the common-emitter
transistor that is already there, then i'd suggest that you follow this
existing common-emitter stage with whatever arrangement you choose to
use for the monostable, and then finally drive the LED with the output
of this monostable.

(Just slapping a big capacitor across the LED (Ca) or the transistor
(Cb) as you showed is asking for trouble as there will necessarily be a
large current surge when the transistor turns on, in order to either
quickly charge or quickly discharge the capacitance.)

-Richie,