[sdiy] What to do with SMT part reels?

Barry Klein Barry.L.Klein at wdc.com
Thu Jan 30 03:23:23 CET 2014

There is a shelf life limitation on such parts and I don't know how old these are.
I think they are being dumped just because they are no longer on any build BOMs.
I'm wondering if there just is no market out there for used/old SMT part reels.
I myself have some reels at home I've been wondering what to do with - things like tantalum caps, xtals, caps, resistors....
I haven't had much luck selling parts on ebay.
Lately I found some RF gold plated connectors stashed away in a box.  Probably 640 of them. They sell new now for $15 each on Digikey.
They are in individual plastic bags.  Crap, that's $9300 worth.  What to do with them??
I need to move a bunch of random scrap boards, power adapters, parts etc. in my garage. I just never use the stuff and it takes up too much space.

Barry