[sdiy] [synth-diy] lock-in amplifiers

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Sun Jan 26 19:07:16 CET 2014

On 2014-01-26 16:33, Tom Wiltshire wrote:
> I think what you're describing might actually be fourier analysis
> looked at a different way....

That's exactly what it is Tom.  It's also often called "Complex
Demodulation" in DSP textbooks.  To be specific the lock-in amplifier
detection technique evaluates a single frequency bin of the Fourier
analysis.  For this reason it is very computationally efficient if
you're only interested in finding the magnitude and phase of a
particular frequency component in a signal, and couldn't give a rats
backside about the rest of the signal's spectrum.  (It's very similar to
the Goertzel algorithm for evaluating single FFT bins.)

As Damian said it's good for pulling out weak radio transmissions that
are burried well below the noise level.  It's commonly used for this
type of task and for low-level measurement applications where it eschews
DC offset and drift problems.

I'm not sure how applicable it would be to music synthesis though.  In
order to use it as a resonator you need to implement a couple of
double-balanced mixers which are hard to do in analogue electronics
without bleed-through of the inputs.  Whilst you can implement perfect
mixers digitally, you can also implement resonators very easily
directly, so I don't see any immediate benefit.

The lock-in amplifier technique really just shifts the audio band down
to DC.  It just implements a frequency translation, so in order to get a
narrow and sharp-sided bandpass filter response you still need a high
order filter.  It just makes it so that this filter needs to be two
high-order lowpass filters near DC rather than a single high-order
bandpass filter at whatever AC frequency you want it to appear at.

The only time where I have found this method beneficial is using it
combined with multi-rate DSP techniques.  Damian, I recommend you take a
look at a PDF called "Multirate Filter Design - An Introduction -
Momentum Data Systems" if you want to see how this can be used in DSP
land.

-Richie,