[sdiy] PIC basic setup?

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Fri Jan 10 14:59:14 CET 2014

I hadn't seen those, but it's true, they look good:

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en531769

I particularly like the 18-pin one, since it comes with a 16F1827, and I think the 16F1xxx "enhanced" mid range PICs are a massive improvement over the earlier ones. They're significantly easier to use and significantly faster.

I've heard it said that the enhanced chips are more sophisticated and therefore not so suitable for beginners, but I don't agree. Many of the weirdnesses of the older chips have been ironed out and they seem more logical and straightforward to me. Bank selection has a single simple command now, for example, and doing table reads from program memory is far less complicated.
My recommendation would be to go straight in with the newer 16F1xxx chips and ignore the older 16Fxxx stuff.

HTH,
Tom