[sdiy] XMOS StartKit...

René Schmitz uzs159 at uni-bonn.de
Wed Jan 1 13:19:57 CET 2014

A Happy New Year to you all!

Am 31.12.2013 20:30, schrieb Dan Snazelle:
> can someone explain in a sentence or two what this platform is all
> about compared to something like MAPLE(ARM):arduino due ( ARM) or
> DSPIC33 or a straight DSP??

It is a 32 bit multicore processor, so there are 8 connected processors.
You can even extend it across several chips/boards with an external link.
The cores run at 500Mhz with 100Mhz I/O rates. It has deterministic
timing, and a general purpose instruction set. So in that sense each
core is more like an AVR at higher speed. And that for less than an
Arduino Uno. The platform is very similar to the Parallax Propeller with
its flexible software based I/O.

> good for synthesis???

I'd say yes. For certain types of synthesis, the amount of RAM would be
a limiting factor though. There is a 4ch ADC, but no DACs on the
startKIT, but an external audio codec board is available.

You could dedicate cores to a time critical synthesis
engine, do some more processing on another, do all non timecritical
stuff on another core, all I/O on another and so on.

> C programmable right? free compilers??

There is an eclipse based IDE called xTIMEcomposer with gcc for C,C++
and an extension to C called XC (with some special syntax to do
interprocess communications, timing, I/O, task slicing and the like.)

Cheers,
  René

uzs159 at uni-bonn.de
http://www.schmitzbits.de/