[sdiy] Cutting Wire to Length

ASSI Stromeko at nexgo.de
Wed Feb 26 21:49:49 CET 2014

On Wednesday 26 February 2014, 09:20:17, Tom Bugs wrote:
> Is there some sort of tool / arrangement that strips off a precise
> length of wire (talking cm&mm lengths typically)
> .. preferably not something costs several thousand £/$!

I can't give precise details because I last used this thing close to 30
years ago, but this is something that probably isn't too difficult to build
if you have access to some mechanical workshop.  Sorry, I have no idea what
to call that in German, much less English…

The mechanism was that the wire is pulled/pushed through some traction
wheels (that'll also straighten the wire coming off the spool) and after a
certain amount of rotation a cutting wheel is engaged.  A small gearbox and
a few stop plugs that you could move around the circumference of the crank
wheel allowed to set up all wirelengths above about 3cm in a matter of a few
seconds.  The gearbox was designed so that you would get one cut for each
revolution of the crank  for most settings (and there was a mechanical
counter on the cutting wheel so you didn't need to keep track of how many
you already had).

We had a more complicated variant of that machine that would twist two wires
before cutting them, you could also adjust how many twists you got per cut
so that the impedance would come out right.  That one was a little tricky to
set up so that the cut would be exactly inbetween two twists, but once
you've had that down you could just keep cranking.

If you don't need several hundred pieces of each length and don't mind
little bits of waste (literally), you could just wrap the wire across two
rows of steel pins that you can mount different distances from each other
and then chop it.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: