[sdiy] Cutting Wire to Length

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Wed Feb 26 10:37:00 CET 2014

We used to use these (or some similar) at the place I used to work:

http://www.amazon.com/Paladin-1113-Stripax-Stripper-Cutter/dp/B0006BHCFO/ref=sr_1_47?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1393407022&sr=1-47

They're pretty good - you just stick the wire in the end, the orange stopper acts as a backstop so you always get the same length, and then you just squeeze the handles to strip. There were some others we had that looked more like metal pliers, which had a screw adjustment for the wire thickness. They were pretty good too, but I can't find a picture of those.
Between some tools like that, and a workbench with reels of wire and marks drawn on the top for cutting lengths, we used to make up thousands of cables by hand. Not that I'm claiming it wasn't a bit tedious...

HTH,
Tom