[sdiy] Good Eurozone component sources

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Thu Feb 20 22:39:34 CET 2014

Thanks for the ideas. I hadn't though of Mouser, so that's worth looking into.

Here's what I know and what I've tried so far:

I tried Digikey, which works, but the Portuguese are hot on customs charges (trying to pay off their government debt!) so it's not terribly cost effective.

Farnell have given up in Portugal, although they haven't taken their website down. You can even order, and get a acknowledgement, but if you do, a couple of days later, you get an email cancelling the order and referring you to their "local distributor", who doesn't have any sort of online ordering facility at all.

RS have an office in Spain which deals with Spanish and Portuguese orders. Unfortunately their website is unable to deal with the different rates of VAT between the two countries and any order to RS subsequently involves several phone calls to them in Spain to pay the required VAT. This wouldn't be so bad, except that they have to delete the order you made, and re-enter it all with the correct rate of VAT. In short, it's a faff.

Maybe I'll have to try some Portuguese stomp box forums or something. Someone here must build something!

T.