[sdiy] Analog bandwidth

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Thu Feb 20 20:50:40 CET 2014

On 20 February 2014 19:43, Andre Majorel <aym-htnys at teaser.fr> wrote:
> On 2014-02-20 16:39 +0000, Richard Wentk wrote:
>
>> Has anyone actually measured the true signal bandwidth at the
>> output of an analog synthesizer? Any make or model would do.
>
> No actual measurement but I doubt that an MS-20 is flat up to
> even 10 kHz. Try comparing one with a modern synth with the
> filters bypassed and you'll see what I mean. The output op amps
> are 4558. Slew rate is 1 V/µs...

Building old drum machine circuits like cymbals & hihats & cowbells
with new components can give quite a nasty upper treble, since the
OP-amps etc are not sloppy enough. :-)

In modern analog synth design, most of the signals you'll find above
20 kHz are disturbances from the digital control system, and without
proper remedy they can give you problems!

/mr