[sdiy] Digital audio demo on Youtube

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Tue Feb 18 20:58:07 CET 2014

Sinc interpolation, or a digital filter that closely models it, is the alternative. That's what most audio DACs from the last decade do internally.

There's nothing wrong with ZOH per say. It's just that it distorts both the waveform and the frequency response significantly, and then this really needs to be put right with a complicated analogue filter that follows.

The point Monty was making is that there is nothing inherent in digital audio that implies a ZOH should be part of the reconstruction. In fact it isn't the best method and actually leads to much confusion.

-Richie,

Sent from my Xperia SP on O2