[sdiy] KORG to Remake ARP Odyssey

Eric Brombaugh ebrombaugh1 at cox.net
Tue Feb 18 03:25:48 CET 2014

On 02/17/2014 07:08 PM, David G Dixon wrote:
>> Didn't you hear?
>>
>> * The semiconductor mfgs are putting lower quality versions
>> of their products into the SMT packages (even though those
>> are the higher-volume parts).
>>
>> * The extra mass of plastic around the silicon insulates the
>> dice and helps the sound be "warmer".
>>
>> * SMT is harder to work on, so you can't circuit-bend ur stuff man.
>>
>> Eric
>
> No, I didn't hear (and neither did you!)

I guess the irony tag gave it away.

Actually, I have heard someone say something akin to #3. I'd be willing
to believe that's true for some of the less experienced hardware hackers
out there, although my advice to them is to get with the times. Come on
into the SMT pool - the water is fine! :)

Eric

(now where did I put my +3 diopter reading glasses....)