[sdiy] [synth-diy] numerically controlled superoscillator without hard sync

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Mon Feb 17 00:02:13 CET 2014

Going way back on this, I realise, but I was reading a Microchip application sheet for the PIC32, and came across the following, which reminded me of this discussion:

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/01422A.pdf

Page 7 and 8 describe the generation of the "Reference Clock Output" (REFCLKO) which is designed to be used for generating sample rates for codecs. As such, it produces various high frequency clocks. This is done by taking an input frequency, and then applying a divider and fractional divider. The divider is a 15-bit number (0-32767) and the fraction divider is 9-bit (0-512).So basically you've got a division by binary 15.9 format. That gives some scope for some serious frequency generation.

Specifically, ten octaves (the usual MIDI range, and roughly human hearing) would require ten bits of division, so 15 bits covers that easily. This leaves us 14 bits within the octave, which is also more than enough to avoid audible stepping.

I guess the next question is "does it cover the range you might need?"

T.