[sdiy] SSM2164 to use as ring modulator...

rsdio at sounds.wa.com rsdio at sounds.wa.com
Fri Feb 14 04:00:46 CET 2014

Whoa! This is a part that is no longer being made. Why would you
design something new to use parts that might be the only way to
repair some vintage analog synth? I know that Analog Devices
continued to make the SSM2164 after SSM, for a while, but I see that
their web site currently marks this part as discontinued/obsolete
(last time to buy: Dec 2012, last ship date: Dec 2013).

I don't have a complete list of the vintage synths that use the
SSM2164, but someone might think you insensitive to go out of your
way to use up these parts when they might be needed for existing
designs. Don't do it, man!

I'd recommend designing around the AD633 or some other modern part
that's still recommended for new designs. If there are distortion
characteristics in the SSM2164 that you like, I bet you can design
that distortion into your ring modulator, and it could be even more
flexible. Note that Analog Devices still manufactures the SSM2108, a
single VCA.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting