[sdiy] [synth-diy] numerically controlled superoscillator without hard sync

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Mon Feb 10 12:44:03 CET 2014

Roman wrote:

> ...Or go one step further and do all interpolation using sample rate
> converter, switching between tables at each octave. So we have here
> typical constant rate wavetable player with multisamples.
> I guess I'm no variable rate guy...

I'd be inclined to agree.  Particularly the bit where you said...

"...With 300MHz DSP that's more than 100 instructions. I admit there is
space for a lot of computing indeed. OTOH at that horsepower you can
make nicely sounding synth voice using constant sample rate."

Yep, you could surely run a 16-voice polysynth complete with 3
oscillators per voice with a decent 32-bit 300MHz DSP.  And all this
using well established VA algorithms and fixed-rate wavetable playback
techniques.  Novation released the A-station donkey's years ago now, and
that was an 8-voice VA polysynth with 3 oscillators per voice, chorus,
reverb, vocoder, EQ, delay etc, all implemented on a 100MHz DSP56000
series chip.

-Richie,