[sdiy] MIDI Velocity on analog synths

Andrew Simper andy at cytomic.com
Thu Feb 6 03:02:27 CET 2014

In the past I've handled the note on and note off velocities as
different modulation sources, you typically don't want to combine them
into a single source because of the problems mentioned in this thread.
Otherwise just keep the note on velocity and throw away the note off
velocity. If you are in charge of voicing duties you may also want to
keep a stack of previous note ons as well as note on velocities so you
can re-assign old voice notes and velocities when playing overlapped
then released notes.

A good (but complicated) place to send the velocity is to scale the
envelope outputs using the attack time of the envelope to smooth the
scaling. This means you can adjust the snappiness of the filter or
amplitude response using the attack pot. If a dual pot is not an
option then you could add a single "velocity glide" pot to adjust the
smoothness of velocity response instead before sending that signal to
scale the envelopes.

All the best,

Andy