[sdiy] MIDI Velocity on analog synths

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Wed Feb 5 19:50:43 CET 2014

I think we can deduce some of the answers to that.

Changing the Velocity CV at a Note Off would make an abrupt change in whatever was being modulated -  filter, whatever. That doesn't sound like what you want to me, so if it was me, I'd have avoided that. Given that not many synths send release velocity anyway, and all the synths that use Note On with Velocity=0 to indicate Note Off *can't* send release velocity, ignoring it doesn't seem too bad.
Furthermore, since we don't want the Velocity CV to disappear during a note if we've got a long release, it makes sense to keep outputting the value until a new Note On comes along.

How are you going to add Velocity CV to your Pro-One? It sounds like a good addition. I'd be interested to hear more, since my Pro-One might benefit too!

Regards,
Tom