[sdiy] $53 Intel Edison dual 500MHz Atom 1GB RAM SOC board has I2S

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Wed Dec 3 18:06:57 CET 2014

Hi Robin,

Texas Instruments has what I think are more attractive platforms.

They have one for $49 that already has the audio CODEC on board (see TMDX5505EZDSP, C5505 eZdsp(TM) USB Stick Development Tool). You'll like the fact that the TMS320 family has some parts that are not BGA, including LQFP. Even though the $49 starter platform uses BGA, you can fairly easily run the software that you develop on another chip in the family that's LQFP.

That's what I'm doing in recent and current DSP projects, although I used a $495 TMDSDSK5509, TMS320VC5509A DSP Starter Kit (DSK).

There's also the $35 430BOOST-C55AUDIO1 with on-board CODEC, but it attaches to an MSP430 board, requiring you to write two sets of firmware.

As Terry mentioned, TI has OMAP parts that combine DSP and ARM, but when I searched for evaluation modules the TI site led me back to the TMDX5505EZDSP, which was a bit confusing. Those parts are rather expensive and exclusively BGA, I believe, so you might want to do more research.

Brian Willoughby