[sdiy] $53 Intel Edison dual 500MHz Atom 1GB RAM SOC board has I2S

Terry Shultz thx1138 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 3 16:12:02 CET 2014

I looked at it briefly and ascertained it was no worse than an ARM solution in many respects.

However, The ARM family of devices give me a much larger feeding ground on features and portability.

I can agree on one point, if it uses the same tools as available on the PC x86, then migrating the code I have for 2D/3D audio from pc based to Edison might be possible.

Biggest problem I have is I need 4 I2S for connection to my HDMI ADI chips for audio extraction from HDMI on Xbox/Playstation platforms.

Gaming Audio toys are what I build along with a few synth projects on occasion.

I also need I2S for Audio out to go to my headphone application.

I render up to 8 channels of Audio to 2 channels out in my 2D/3D headphone application.

At present I use a Sharc for audio I/O and Rendering and a simple PIC for control purposes for user interface etc.

I have a PC implementation and I am looking at platforms that are more SOC centric and not too costly. Main problem is audio is still an after thought on certain suppliers devices.

perhaps Edison is a path to look at a bit closer, tools are not too pricey I think.