[sdiy] PIC 16F1788 CPU bug

Michael Bachman bachmanm50 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 14:30:25 CET 2013

Tom

Agreed..  Microchip support has been fantastic over the years.

We use the PIC line in almost every motor controller we build, from
the smallest e_bike and medical scooter controller to that largest
on-road Electric Vehicle AC motor controllers.  Over  the 20 years,
they have never let us down.  A few bugs here and there, but better
than Siemens*  or Motorola.

We have used the Siemens 16 bit micros, and although a powerful part,
we had to redesign the complete line of controllers due to End Of
Life.  We never had to do this for a Microchip part.

This is why I am using the dsPIC in DIY.

That and the fact that MPLAB software development and debug
environment is decent and low cost.  Compare that to IAR or Keil IDEs
for the SMT32.  We had to pay over $3000 for those.

With all that said though, Microchip dropped the ball with their 32
bit line, and thus my company (and I for the next project) will be
moving over to the Siemens STM32F4 or the Infineon XMC4500 line.

Mike

* note that I speak of the support for Siemens parts in the US
compared to the much better support in Germany.  We have a design
office in Switzerland and we had to rely on them to get us answers and
docuements (errata) we could not get  in the states.