[sdiy] PIC 16F1788 CPU bug

Thomas Strathmann thomas at pdp7.org
Fri Nov 29 22:33:51 CET 2013

On 29.11.13 21:21, Pete Hartman wrote:
> AVR's costs come in the development platform itself.  While you *can*
> run individual AVRs and some do, it's not the common pattern--most
> things are geared toward Arduino.  At $10 - $65 a pop, depending on
> which Arduino you prefer, that can be spendy, particularly if you're
> looking to embed something.  Lots of folks have talked about Arduino
> synth modules, but I only know of two that actually made them
> available, for example.  I can do a bare Arduino-programmed AVR (and
> have), but it still uses a bit more overhead--I haven't seen an option
> to run one on an internal oscillator like I can a PIC, for example.

No idea where this comes from. You can build a barebones AVR board using
little more than the chip itself, a pullup for the reset line, and a
connector for the ISP. No external oscillator necessary. You have to be
a bit careful with setting the fuse bits on the AVR though.

Never used an Arduino board, all stripboard and some components. Quicker
and cheaper than ordering pre-made boards. :)

	Thomas