[sdiy] Fwd: Shruthi 4PM (was re something else...)

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Fri Nov 29 13:00:10 CET 2013

That's the nightmare of working with filters made from real-world
analogue components (>.<)

You could always trade component tolerance problems for those of
coefficient rounding and state rounding instead! ;-)

That multi-mode filter technique works very well in the digial domain
where you can specify the pole positions and the mixing ratios with
excellent accuracy and repeatability.

Regardless of whether the implementation is analogue or digital, the
resulting band-pass and high-pass responses might not be quite the shape
you would initially expect though.  Due to the way the 4 poles split in
that x-formation in the "4-pole cascade with feedback" the bandpass
response becomes a little lopsidded as resonance is applied.  And the HP
response has a dip in the passband to the right of the resonant peak!

These are surely not show-stoppers musically, but since we are obsessed
about accuracy of the filter shapes it's probably worth mentioning :-)

-Richie,