[sdiy] Magnetic and electrical field sensors for EMC testing

cheater00 . cheater00 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 10:43:43 CET 2013

Hi Robin,

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 5:04 AM, Robin Whittle <rw at firstpr.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>

> Google books did not display for me whatever it was you found at your link.

This is page 139 of EMC for Product Designers by Tim Williams. The
relevant bit can be found here:
http://i.imgur.com/qAWdf2Y.png

The book then turns to near-field scanning devices and the next topic
is "The GTEM for emissions tests".

The drawings are similar to the below ones you've found on the eevblog
forum, but worse (both the circuit and the drawing itself). The
eevblog ones are really very detailed. I wasn't able to make sense of
the magnetic probe in Tim Williams' book until I saw your drawing.

> I found a lot of EMC measurement articles at http://emcesd.com .  Here
> is a discussion on DIY magnetic field probes:
>
>   http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/diy-magentic-field-probes/
>
> It contains a diagram from a series of articles which apparently are at
> the Rigol site - http://www.rigol.com.  However, I wasn't able to find
> the articles.

If you save the image to disk, then go to the Google Image Search, you
can use that file as a template to search for. It'll find another page
on the compliance club site:

http://www.compliance-club.com/archive/keitharmstrong/emc_testing1.html

It's the first instalment in a 7-part series of which only 5 parts are
so far finished (I'm not sure whether it's still being worked on). It
is very, very detail and is written by people in no way related to
Rigol. The person writing must have made an error (bear in mind this
is the eevblog forum after all...).

Cheers,
D.