[sdiy] Practical inductor question

David Ingebretsen dingebre at 3dphysics.net
Sun Nov 24 11:50:30 CET 2013

I'm building a Moog 914 filter clone in a euro format, using inductors hand
made by Carsten Tonesmann (thanks Carsten). The inductor wire is very fine
and although I am bolting the inductors down with nylon hardware, the
bobbins are free to rotate inside until the wire stops it. I'm not gigging
this stuff, but I'd like to make sure the bobbin's to shake and eventually
fatigue the wire and break it.

I thought I could just put a dob of silicone sealant in the gap where the
wire exits the core (like these ones:

http://www.fair-rite.com/cgibin/catalog.pgm?THEONEPART=5698181221&SEARCHAGAI
N=Y#select:onepart).

Silicone doesn't have any weird properties that will mess with the
inductance does it? I can't see how it could, but I thought I'd ask before I
do something that will be very hard to undo.

Thanks

David