[sdiy] PCB heat simulations?

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Wed Nov 13 22:08:49 CET 2013

On 13 November 2013 21:56, Ian Fritz <ijfritz at comcast.net> wrote:
> Not exactly what you are asking, but you could make a little chimney above
> your hot spot to move most of its heat away from the board.

That's one of the things I'm considering - not a chimney per se, but a
hole in another PCB placed above the hot component. The question is if
it helps much. If there is considerably more convection upwards from
the hot component, it will have effect to place the hole there. If the
heat & convection forces are spread more evenly over the PCB area, it
will have less effect, and other hole positions will not be better
either.

Those are some of the behaviours that it would be nice to get a gut
feeling for. :-)

Anyway, thanks also to Achim for some good advice!

/mr