[sdiy] Bus for digital patching of synths

cheater00 . cheater00 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 14:28:27 CET 2013

Hi Neil,

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Neil Johnson <neil.johnson71 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> cheater00 wrote:
>> I've recently been talking with someone about an idea for patching
>> modular synths in digital rather in analog.
>
> What exactly do you mean by "modular synths"?
> - A single monolithic instrument arranged as a collection of
> configurable modules (ARP 2600)
> - A modular instrument from a single vendor (Buchla 200)
> - An instrument with modules from many manufacturers (Eurorack, MU, Frac, etc)
>
> Thanks,
> Neil

I've been thinking about the third option. However, it likely applies
to the 2nd option, and in many ways to the first. It seems in synths
any research, design, and ideas from general modulars trickles down to
vendor systems and then to integrated systems. So we're talking about
what would be needed to build an open system for everyone to take part
in, as this allows for the largest amount of contribution and has the
largest potential to change for the better the way we do synthesis.

Cheers,
D.